“If you don’t have wrinkles, you haven’t laughed enough.” – Phyllis Diller
Although wrinkles may be a part of aging, there are many methods you can try to remove or diminish them. This includes both medical and home remedies. Not every wrinkle removal process has to be costly or unpleasant, either. Many of the home methods are cheap and even use items you already have around the house. In this article, we’ll show you how to look more youthful without even leaving your home.
Causes And Types Of Wrinkles
Wrinkles are a normal part of aging, over time, we lose collagen, elastin, and moisture that can lead to creases in the skin. An article in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology explored some of the lifestyle and physiological factors associated with facial wrinkles in men and women.
Factors like pollution, facial movements, smoking, a poor diet, and even lack of sleep can contribute to skin aging. There’s also a genetic component involved in wrinkle development. Some people look younger naturally, while others inherit the tendency for aging skin.
However, according to Ivona Percec, MD, Ph.D., at Penn Plastic Surgery, “When it comes to wrinkles, there are other much more impactful factors than genetics at play. For instance, up to 90 percent of visible skin changes are a result of damage from the sun, called photodamage (1).”
Most people assume that all wrinkles are alike, but there are actually 4 distinct types. Atrophic crinkling rhytids are primarily associated with sun damage and are found anywhere on the body or face. There are also permanent elastic creases on the lips, cheeks, and base of the neck that are caused both by sun damage and smoking (2).
Dynamic expression lines around the forehead and the eyes occur due to repeated facial expressions over time, like laughing or squinting. Finally, there are gravitational folds, which are crevices in the skin due to loss of elasticity (2). If you want to get rid of wrinkles, try some simple home remedies.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Wrinkles
- Aloe Vera – If anything can get rid of wrinkles, it’s aloe vera. This enriching oil can stimulate the production of collagen, which can tighten your skin and improve elasticity. As a consequence, wrinkles and lines become smoother and less prominent.
It also includes deep hydrating benefits that plump the skin for wrinkle removal. In addition, it has healing benefits and is rich in antioxidants. To use aloe as a home remedy, spread some on your face daily for at least 3 months. Aloe is included in some of the top-rated anti-wrinkle creams.
- Egg Whites – Egg whites contain collagen and other proteins that help tighten the skin and improve elasticity, smoothing wrinkles and fine lines. If you want to use this method at home, whisk some egg whites in a bowl and apply the mixture to your skin. Let it dry, and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Cucumber Mask – Cucumber is rich in nutrients that are healthy for the skin and include a lot of hydration. This helps eliminate dryness and plump the skin, smoothing fine lines and wrinkles. To apply it at home, grate the juice from the cucumber and apply it to your face directly. Rinse it off with water.
- Vitamin C – Topical Vitamin C in the form of a basic serum has potent antioxidants to help repair and protect the skin. It may also lighten the complexion and fade dark spots and areas of hyperpigmentation. This makes it an ideal ingredient for top-ratedanti-aging creams and serums.
You can make your serum with Vitamin C powder, distilled water, and glycerin. Apply this formula every morning before you start your day. An article in the Indian Dermatology Online Journal discussed the role of Vitamin C in dermatology.
- Banana Mask –
- If you want to look younger naturally, try a banana mask. They contain hydrating benefits that can plump the skin, eliminating wrinkles and lines. Bananas contain nutrients like Vitamin A that help fade pigmentation and dark spots. Mash some bananas together well, then spread the mix on your face. Wash it off after about 20 minutes.
- Olive Oil –Olive oil is gentle on the skin and hydrating, and it stimulates collagen levels. This tightens the skin, improves elasticity, and smooths wrinkles and lines. A chapter in Olives and Olive Oil in Health and Disease Prevention discussed the effect of olive oil on the skin. To apply olive oil, take a few drops and rub on your face at night before bed.
Medical Treatment And Prevention
For those who are less interested in home remedies and more inclined towards medicinal treatments, there are a few methods you can consider.
Anti-Wrinkle Supplements – There are several excellent organic anti-aging and anti-wrinkle supplements on the market to consider. They generally work rapidly and are also hydrating and full of antioxidants. The Dermal Repair Complex review posts, for example, said that users had a drastic reduction in skin wrinkles within a few weeks.
Chemical Peel – A chemical peel is usually carried out in a dermatologist’s office, and it involves exfoliating and peeling off the top layer of your skin. This leads to a fresh, regenerated complexion. It helps remove wrinkles and lines. The physician usually uses alpha-hydroxy and other acids.
Botox – Botox is a neurotoxin protein that can slow the movement of the facial muscles. It blocks certain nerve pathways. It makes it appear as if you have fewer wrinkles and lines. Under a doctor’s care, the substance is injected into the face in one or a series of sessions.
Laser Skin Resurfacing – In this procedure, a dermatologist uses a laser to remove layers off of your skin for a fresher, more radiant complexion that has less prominent wrinkles and lines. This procedure is usually done under anesthetic and it takes about 2 hours. There is healing after the procedure, and you will have scabbing for a short while.
Facelift Surgery – It is possible to have surgery to lift the skin on the face for a younger appearance and fewer wrinkles and fine lines. This procedure can only be done by a surgeon, and it involves an incision across the face, repositioning of tissue, and lifting.
Soft Tissue Dermal Fillers – These are small facial implants that are FDA-approved. Fillers are inserted in the area from the sides of the nose to the edges of the mouth, making the skin appear smoother with fewer fine lines and wrinkles. They also give the complexion a fuller appearance.
Although many parts of aging are positive, likely for most people wrinkles aren’t one of them. Many people assume that to get rid of wrinkles, you have to spend a lot of money on expensive procedures or costly products.
However, some home remedies are very effective in helping to get rid of the signs of age, and they are not expensive at all. In this article, we have also explained some medical options, including supplements. The Dermal Repair Complex review posts seemed thrilled with this particular product.
Sit back, relax at home, try some of the remedies we have suggested and watch the wrinkles fall off your face for a youthful, radiant appearance.